Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Final Reflection Blog 5/19/16

1- What are the three most important things you learned this year?

          Throughout the year I have learned some really important things. If I had to tie it down to three things it would be TIQA format, annotations techniques, and life lessons. The TIQA format has helped me organize my informational writing and as I use it more, the easier I found it to follow. The annotating text guide was very important because it helped me look for what to annotate in the text which is vital for good discussions. Life lessons from Tuesdays with Morrie are important things I learned because I learned many aphorisms that I now take into consideration everyday.

2- What is something we did this year that you think you will remember for the rest of your life?

          I think that the Holocaust unit we had will stay in my mind for the rest of my life. I say this because of all of the horrifying things that happened to people during that time. What helped me visualize all of it was Night by Elie Wiesel. In this book I was able to see the perspective of a Jew, around my age. He was separated from his mom and sister and he also had to witness babies being thrown into a fire-filled pit.

3- What was the nicest thing someone in our class did for you this year?

          The nicest thing someone in our class did for me this year was informing me on what I missed when I was sick. One day I was really sick and I could not come to school so I looked on Edmodo to see if there were any assignments and I didn't see anything. Later, I receive a phone call from a student in our class and s/he told me what we did in class and the homework. Thanks to this student I was prepared for school the next day with all of my work done.

4- What is something you taught your teacher or classmates this year?

         I don't think I really taught my classmates anything this year. I guess you could say I taught them that you should always ask questions when you have them. I tend to ask a lot of question to clarify what is going on and no matter what if I have a question I ask it. Sometimes I look funny going up 2-3 times but its ok because by the end I will know exactly what to do.

5- In what area do you feel you made your biggest improvements? What is something you accomplished this year that you are proud of?

         I feel I have made my biggest improvement in researching this year. I say this because we did a lot of research with the Holocaust unit, argumentative essay, and all of the AoWs. I am actually pretty proud that I know how to use commas more effectively/correctly. Before, I only knew a few comma rules now I know ten. I am also pretty proud that I know AAAWWUBBIS because I know that it'll come in handy when writing papers.

6- What was the most challenging part of this year for you?

         I would have to say that reading To Kill a Mockingbird was the most challenging part of this year for me. I say this because I had trouble answering questions, annotating, writing down a summary after each chapter, and reading at the same time. I just found it a bit overwhelming, otherwise I really enjoyed the book. Actually all of the books I have read I this class have been really good. The only book I would have to say I strongly disliked was Of Beetles and Angels.

7- What was the best piece of writing that you did this year? Why do you think it is your best?

         The best piece of writing I have done this year I would have to say is the argumentative essay. I think this is my best piece of writing because we revised it multiple times and by the end I was able to successfully use the TIQA format correctly. I also feel it was my best piece of writing because I put forth a lot of effort. I did this because I was very interested in the fact that labs kill and abuse animals to find new medicine. I also think that this was my best piece of writing because all of my sources, I felt, were very reliable which helped me create a strong/valid essay.

8- Of the books you read this year, which was your favorite? Why?

         Of all three books we read as a class my favorite by far was Tuesdays with Morrie By Mitch Albom. This book was my favorite because it really made me think. It made me think about life and how I need to be living a better one. The aphorisms found in the book are now things that I look up to. I just found Morrie's story very inspirational in general because he was able to be very optimistic knowing that his end was near.

9- What advice would you give students who will be in this class next year?

         First of all, turn in all of work (if possible) ahead of time. I say this because you will find yourself with more free time and you will have time to revise. Second of all, are the most you can out of this class because next year is high school and you are going to need to be as prepared as possible. Third of all, if you find your self struggling at first time management is key in this class and every class. For example, instead of going home and procrastinating (playing on your phone) go and do your work then play all the games without thinking about that AoW/blog you didn't do. It is also very hard to do work late at night, so try to do your work right after school. Good Luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment