Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Night Blog Post

Night
By: Elie Wiesel
Pages: 0-46

Prompts:
1. How has the main character changed throughout the story?
2. Why do you think the author wrote this?
3. Write a quote from what you are reading that has meaning for you. Explain
why you chose this quote.

          The main character, Elie Wiesel, has changed a lot since the beginning of the story. For example, in the beginning of the story Elie was very interested in his religion. I know this because in the text Elie says, "...I became convinced that Moishe the Beadle would help me enter eternity..." (5). Later on Elie started to loose confidence in his religion. This is true because in the text Elie says, "As for me, I had ceased to pray. I concurred with job! I was not denying his existence, but I doubted His absolute justice" (45). This shows how is loosing confidence in his religion because he is doubting that what his god is doing is correct.

          I think Elie Wiesel wrote this book to show how horrific events from the Holocaust have scared him and other Jews for life. For example, when Elie sees innocent babies being thrown in a fire to burn is an event that he can never forget. Another event Elie probably will never forget is when he was numbered A-7713. I know that Elie was numbered because in the text he says, "I became A-7713. From then on, I had no other name." (42). Elie will also never forget watching his father get slapped just for asking to go to the bathroom. All of these instances are very traumatic but by him writing this memoir he helps young readers like me understand what is going on in a first person point of view.

          In the book I found a quote that had a lot of meaning. The quote is, "Never shall I forget these things, even if I am condemned to live as long as God Himself. Never." (34). This quote had a lot of meaning to me because Elie is basically saying that he will never forget these things that he has seen and that has happened to him for as long as he lives. I find this very meaningful because Elie is basically scared with traumatizing memories. He even says, "Yes, I did see this, with my own eyes... children thrown into flames. (Is it any wonder that ever since then, sleep tends to elude me?)" (32). This shows how traumatized he is because sleep tends to escape him.



No comments:

Post a Comment